Do I need to have danced before?
Absolutely not, that's what the Beginners classes are about.
So, what's the right level for me?
- If you've got no experience of either Ballroom or Latin American, then join the Ballroom/Latin Beginners I class.
- If you've danced both Ballroom and Latin American before, and got the basics in the most popular dances (Waltz-Quickstep-Tango-Social Foxtrot-Cha Cha Cha-Rumba-Jive/Rock'n'Roll) then join the Beyond Beginner Ballroom/Latin American class.
- If you've been dancing for a few years, feel quite confident and can dance the Slow Foxtrot then you'll want to join the Improver or Intermediate class.
Do I need a partner?
This style of dancing requires couples but don't be put off if you don't have one. If you are without a partner then please get in touch and I may be able to match you up.
Do you switch partners around the class?
Not usually - if you've come with your partner that's who you usually want to learn with. When a class has got to know each other better then I might, on rare occasions, switch round when I'm teaching a new figure to get a bit of practice dancing with someone else. I never do that with Beginners classes.
How many people are in a class, private lesson or wedding dance lesson?
- Beginners courses are restricted to a maximum of 10-12 couples. This allows some individual attention while also getting experience of dancing on a social dance floor.
- Learn to Dance in a Day workshops are restricted to 20 couples. We have 2 teachers and this allows for some individual attention while also getting experience of dancing on a social dance floor.
- Private lessons are restricted to 2 couples.
- Wedding Dance lessons are for the wedding couple only as the choreography is specific to the first dance.
- If you have a group who would like a regular private session, rather than a party session, please ask for a quote.
What should I wear?
Wear something comfortable that doesn't restrict your movement - jeans are perfectly acceptable. This is a social dance class not an exercise class so you don't need to wear gym gear.
What about shoes?
Beginners don't need special shoes although you might want to buy a pair of dance shoes later if you really take to it. Try and wear a smooth-soled shoe so that your foot doesn't stick to the floor when you're turning, trainers are usually a bad idea. For ladies, wear a heel height you're comfortable with and can dance in, and shoes that give you some support - I would specifically not wear ballet pumps (too flat), wedge heels (too solid) and anything with no back (too dangerous).
Do I need to practice at home?
I don't expect you to do that, so it's entirely up to you.
How much do classes cost?
Please see the Prices page for details. Beginners courses are payable at the start of the course. Ongoing classes can be paid at the start of the month or weekly.
Do you offer any discounts?
Please see the Prices page for discounts for payments in advance. If you attend class regularly then Membership is the most cost-effective way to attend. There are no other concessions.
How do I pay?
Via the booking diary using your debit/credit card or PayPal
Via BACS - bank details on monthly Cheek2Cheek Dance Lover's Guide.
In person by cash
N.B. Cheques are not accepted
Please see the Prices page for further information and whether you need to pay at booking, as you go or mothly.
Where are classes held?
Regular classes In 3 locations - click on the "How to find us" page:
Mondays : Boxford Village Hall
Tuesday-Thursday & Sunday : The Walwyn Hall, Lambourn
Fridays : Wantage Methodist Church Hall (park at The Beacon)
Saturday workshops : Steventon Villag Hall
Is there a car park?
Yes, there is a free car park in all locations (Wantage = 2 hours only).
Rood Hill, RG20 8DD
The Walwyn Hall
Baydon Road, RG17 8NU
Methodist Church Hall
Newbury Street, OX12 8DA
The Green, OX13 6RR
Ballroom/Latin start dates:
Boxford - September tbc
Lambourn - Wed 6 March
Wantage - September tbc
Sequence start date:
Lambourn - tbc
Steventon - 9 March 2019
Sun 10 February 2019
Lambourn - SLOW FOXTROT
Sun 17 February 2019
Lambourn - Sun 24 March 2019